Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Do Intranets help to facilitate good communications practices, or frustrate them...?

It's true. I often refer to myself as a "passionate fanatic" when it comes to Intranet issues. It’s no secret that I have a personal philosophy that Intranets are inherently good. So when I was recently asked this question, before I allowed myself to yell out "Of course Intranets facilitate good communications!" I felt the need to step back and first recognize what I know to be true:Intranets DO aggravate an organization's frustration with its OWN information and relationship practices. But, I see this as good. As an opportunity. For me, this aggravation signals an opportunity for the Communication Pros to get in there and help an organization face some big "working together" issues. Such as:- Not enough interpreted meaning or clear direction coming with content- Bad/outdated work processes - Too much content being made up by too many people/(zapping productivity)- Silos and poor relationships across people/functions - Lack of simple coordination in communication within workflow of projects and everyday work (There is so much work to be done out there on this!) What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment